Saturday 22 September 2012

Dunfermline 4 - 0 Livingston
(HT 2 - 0)
Barrowman (26 & 65)
McMillan (30)
Thomson (61)

An impressive Dunfermline performance, combined with poor play by the visitors, gave Livingston their worst defeat since March.  A brace by Andrew Barrowman and goals from Jordan McMillan and Ryan Thomson saw Dunfermline run out 4-0 victors at East End Park.

Dunfermline dominated play from early on, with the combined attack of Barrowman, Wallace, Cardle and Dargo running the Livingston defence ragged.  Ten minutes into the game, Ryan Wallace sent a great precision cross into the box, which Barrowman just missed in the 6yd box.  Minutes later Joe Cardle tried his luck with a close range shot, but his shot was just over.

Barrowman came close again, after catching out the Livingston defence, he sent his shot fractionally wide much to the relief of the visitors.  Calum Fordyce came to the rescue 5 minutes later, denying Andy Geggan just inside the box.  Wallace followed up with a great shot which McNeil did well to save.

Dunfermline’s pressure paid off when they took the lead on 26mins.  Wallace sent a cross over the box, which Booth failed to clear. Barrowman took advantage and stuck the ball in the back of the net.

Less than five minutes later, Dunfermline doubled their lead with a goal from Jordan McMillan, the Livi defence failed to catch his run into the box and after latching onto the loose ball, the defender sent it to the wrong side of Andy McNeil.

By this stage Dunfermline were well in control and John Hughes’ Livi side had no answer for their dominance.  With ten minutes to go until half time, Joe Cardle almost made it three for the home side, with a low shot from 20 yards going just wide.

Livingston had their one and only chance of the first half in the dying seconds of the first half, Marc McNulty’s shot deflected well wide for a throw after Calum Fordyce had set the Livi striker up.

Dunfermline began the second half as they had the first, and it wasn’t long before they tested Andy McNeil.  Ryan Wallace found himself one on one with the Livi keeper, but couldn’t capitalise as McNeil made the save.  McMillan almost doubled his tally a few minutes later, but the Livi defence managed to clear his effort just inside the box. 

Dunfermline added to the score line in the 61st minute, substitute Ryan Thomson managing to get a head to a long ball into the box, sending it sailing past McNeil.  The home side completed the rout 10 minutes later, Barrowman beating the offside trap from a well placed long ball, and sent his shot powerfully past the Livi keeper with the defence left far behind.

Dunfermline weren’t finished yet, and continued to pressure on the quest for more goals, ex-Livi loanee Stephen Husband’s low, powerful shot stung the gloves of McNeil.  Dunfermline, were unlucky to be denied a penalty, with a Calum Booth foul on the edge of the box judged to be a Free Kick.

With Dunfermline comfortably winning, Livingston looked like a team low on confidence and low on ideas.  The management and fans will be hoping for a quick turn-around in the team’s fortunes as they continue to languish near the bottom end of the table.

Dunfermline Athletic:
Gallacher, McMillan, Dowie, Morris, Jordan, Cardle (Whittle 78), Geggan, Husband, Wallace, Barrowman (Kirk 76), Dargo (Thomson 53)
Subs not used: Hrivnak, Potter

McNeil, Fordyce, Booth, Garcia Tena, C.Barr, Docherty, Andreu, Kn.Jacobs (Morton 71), McNulty, Scougall, I.Russell (R.Gray 85)
Subs not used: McDonald, Downie, Jamieson

Referee: David Somers

Official Attendance: 2.958

Match report: Chris Naismith