Saturday 11 September 2010

Peterhead 0 - 0 Livingston
HT (0 - 0)

Livingston came away from the long trip to Peterhead with a lucky point from a tough match. With Peterhead�s keeper, John Bateman, mostly untroubled and Tony Bullock pulling off a number of vital saves � not to mention a couple of controversial penalty claims - the game could have ended so differently for the visitors.

Livingston kicked off, but it was Peterhead who were the more switched-on after the international break. Neil McVitie coming closest in the opening play, heading just over.

It took till the quarter hour for Livingston to loosen up, with Robbie Winters just beaten to a long ball by Bateman who cleared the danger well.

Livingston then had a period of pressure with a number of corners, culminating in a great overhead effort from Robbie Winters, saved by Bateman, but ultimately called back for offside.

In 25 minutes Liam Fox lobbed the Peterhead defence to the on-running Jason Talbot, but once more Bateman came to the Blue Toon�s rescue.

This was followed by a good period of home pressure, with Conor Gethins controlling the ball and shooting just wide, followed by substitute Graeme Sharp�s cross-cum-shot fired straight at the keeper. Dennis Wyness then had a shot was brilliantly tipped over by an alert Tony Bullock.

Shortly before the interval a Winters pass found skipper Liam Fox, but his long range effort just cleared the bar.

As the second half opened so did the heavens, and it was Livi who had the first attacking move with Keaghan Jacobs� effort well saved by the Toon�s keeper.

Peterhead had the better of the second half however, particularly Dennis Wyness troubling the on-form Bullock several times, including one fine effort which Bullock once more did well to tip over.

Winters however did manage to get one of Livingston�s few second half efforts on target with a soft header from a Craig Barr cross.

Bullock was called into action once again as the clock ticked down, plucking the ball out the air from a Stuart Smith effort.

Livi sub Rafaelle Da Vita had a late chance to win the game, but headed a good Bobby Barr cross just past the post.

Peterhead could feel aggrieved at two late penalty claims being waved away: with an accidental handball and a tackle both denying and infuriating the home fans and players alike.

So Livingston left Balmoor Stadium, with a point won from a game dominated by the hosts for much of its duration. A good point against a solid team, but the Livi fans will be hoping for a more comfortable display from next week�s trip to Brechin.

Peterhead: Bateman, Gethens, Strachan, Donald, MacDonald, Smith, Moore (Ross 72), McVitie, Anderson (Sharp 10), Bavidge, Wyness
Subs Not Used: Jarvie, Hepburn, McClaughlan

Livingston: Bullock, Sinclair (Ky.Jacobs 82), C.Barr, O'Byrne, Watson, Talbot, Kn.Jacobs, Fox, B.Barr, Russell (De Vita 74), Winters
Subs Not Used: McNulty, Conway, McDowall

Att: 431

Ref: J.Beaton

Report by Chris Naismith