Saturday 30 October 2010

Forfar Athletic 1 - 0 Livingston
HT (0 - 0)

Livingston suffered their second defeat of the season at the hands of Dick Campbell’s Forfar side.  An excellent effort from Scott Allan ensuring all three points stayed at Station Park.

The first half was an even, if slightly dull affair with just a few notable attempts each.  Forfar gained the first effort of the game, with a free kick by manager’s son Iain Campbell, placed just wide and knocked back in by Allan into the safe hands of Tony Bullock.  Livingston followed this up minutes later with a long goal kick by Bullock, headed on by Liam Fox onto Iain Russell whose one-on-one effort disappointingly ended somewhere in the club car park.

It wasn’t for another 12minutes before a meaningful effort on goal happened, this from a great passing move between Kyle Jacobs and Robbie Winters ending with the ball at Fox’s feet, whose fluffed effort eventually found it’s way into the hands of Forfar keeper, Scott Gallagher.

On 34mins Bullock was called into action once again, making a fine save from Campbell’s pinpoint perfect free kick on its way to the top corner.  The resulting corner led to a goalmouth scramble, ending with Chris Templeman heading just over.  Moments later Livi threatened too, with a great move up the wing by Bobby Barr, slotted into the box to Russell, knocking back out to Winters who’s soft effort goes wide.

Forfar ended the first half with a great effort from Dale Hilson from a long range Goal Kick by Gallagher, which was knocked wide by the impressive Bullock. 

Livingston opened the second half brightly with both Bobby Barr and Kyle Jacobs shooting just wide.

Fox had another effort held comfortably by the Forfar keeper after good work by Bobby Barr and Russell.  This was followed quickly by a clever passing move by Forfar on the left side of the box being cleared in the goalmouth by Mick O’Byrne.

Forfar weren’t to be denied for long though.  Chris Malone was adjudged to have fouled Ross Campbell.  The resulting free kick on 72mins was passed by Iain Campbell to Scott Allan whose inch perfect kick went neatly into the top corner, leaving Tony Bullock and the Livi defence with no chance.

Moments later Livingston were controversially denied a penalty after Bobby Barr was felled in the box, having had his heels clipped.  However referee McLean saw it differently and Barr was subsequently booked for simulation.

The teams then exchanged chances as time ticked away, Bobby Barr’s effort being deflected wide by a Livi attacker, and a save by Bullock from a Bryan Deasley effort. 

Substitute Aaron Conway had the Lions’ best effort with a well struck free kick rattling the cross bar and out to Rafa de Vita who played it back to Fox for a cross back into the box which was headed softly at the keeper.

Bullock was called into action latterly to save a Hilson effort after he’d run down the left past the bewildered Livi defence.

So Livingston return home once again with no points, and manager Gary Bollan will be looking at ways to get his faltering side back onto their earlier form.

Forfar: Gallacher, I.Campbell, Lunan, Bolocheweckyj, McCulloch, Brady (Gibson 77), Allan, R.Campbell, Templeman, Hilson, Deasley (Smith 86)
Subs Not Used: McLean, Tulloch, Todd

Livingston: Bullock, C.Barr, Malone, Sinclair (Conway 83), O'Byrne, Watson, Fox, Ky.Jacobs, Russell, Winters (De Vita 69), B.Barr
Subs Not Used: McDowall, MacDonald, Cummings

Att: 612

Ref: S.McLean

Report by Chris Naismith