Saturday 15 January 2011

Peterhead 3 - 0 Livingston
HT (1 - 0)

A poor Livingston performance was comfortably beaten by a confident Peterhead side on the long trip to the Balmoor Stadium.  A David Ross goal followed by a Ryan Strachan brace saw the Lions’ 10 men well and truly.

Livingston dominated the first half, though it was the Blue Toon who had the better of the early chances with Neil McVittie unlucky to see an early chance saved from a well taken cross.

It wasn’t until 13 minites until Livingston got their first serious chance: a corner by recently returned midfielder Joe Hamill finding Liam Fox just outside the box who unleashed a powerful shot, which ricocheted back out for Fox’s second attempt which went wide.

Keaghan Jacobs had the next serious chance for Livingston, but his long, low effort was too soft to beat the untroubled Peterhead keeper, Jon Bateman.

But it was the Northerners who were to break the deadlock after 26 minuted.  An unfortunate home free kick was duly distributed wide by Scott Ross to Graeme Sharp who crossed neatly into the box, and David Ross was on hand to comfortably net from close range.

Russell showed great skill half an hour in, twisting and turning into the box only to be dispossessed by a last ditch tackle from the alert Scott Ross.

Livingston almost gifted Peterhead a second goal when a cross by Sharp was almost turned into his own net from close range by Livingston defender Devon Jacobs to see out the first half.

Some fans were still making their way back to their seats as Peterhead quickly made it 2-0 early in the 2nd half.  Lions defender Mick O’Byrne was controversially adjudged to have handled in the box, and Blue Toon’s striker Ryan Strachan expertly converted the resulting spot kick.

Moments later, Livingston came close to reducing the deficit with a perfect cross by Robbie Winters from just inside the box just missed by the approaching Kyle Jacobs.

Livingston were showing determination to get back into the game, and young midfielder Keaghan Jacobs unleashed a powerful right footed shot to the far side of the goal which was unfortunate to be held comfortably by Bateman.

Tony Bullock came to the rescue just after the hour, following a perfect pass across goal by Sharp to David Donald whose advances on goal were pounded away by the vulnerable Bullock.

Moments later, Robbie Winters saw his second yellow for dissent and was duly given his marching orders.  This put Livingston firmly on the back foot, and despite the best efforts of substitute Rafaelle De Vita, it wasn’t long before Peterhead put the game beyond all doubt.  Strachan scored the second of his brace with 71mins on the clock, with an effort from outside the box leaving the defence and the goalkeeper with no chance.

With only a few half efforts by either team in the last 20 minutes, the game began to fizzle out, and the vocal travelling support were sent home disappointed not only in the result but also in the performance.  The fans and team alike will be hoping for a better performance at Tuesday’s game against East Fife.

Peterhead :Bateman, Donald, MacDonald, S.Ross (Stirling Smith 64), Stuart Smith, Bavidge, McVitie (Emslie 46), Strachan, Sharp, Clark, D.Ross (Gethans 85)
Subs Not Used: Jarvie, Wyness

Livingston: Bullock, D.Jacobs (De Vita 59), Watson, O'Byrne, Malone, Kn.Jacobs, Fox, Ky.Jacobs, Hamill (Sinclair 85), Winters ,Russell (Talbot 80)
Subs Not Used: McDowall, Conway

Att: 585

Ref: T.Robertson

Report: Chris Naismith