Saturday 26 February 2011

Livingston 4 - 0 Alloa Athletic
HT (0 - 0)

Livingston bounced back from a disappointing defeat at Brechin City midweek by defeating Alloa Athletic 4-0 at the Braidwood Motor Company Stadium on Saturday.

In what was a tight first half, neither side could get ahead, but after being gifted a penalty by the away defence, the Lions went on to utterly dominate the second half and cruise to the three points.

If anything, it was the visiting team who had the better of the first half opportunities, with Bryan Prunty being presented with two glorious chances to put his side ahead.

Firstly, home keeper Tony Bullock brilliantly saved a close range effort, before the striker pulled wide another chance before the break.

For Livi, Iain Russell had an effort that he tugged wide of the post while Rafaelle De Vita – back in the starting line-up – fired straight at Jamie Ewings.

Livi took the lead when, with only ten minutes on the clock in the second half, Michael Dunlop inexplicably punched the ball clear from the edge of his area, leaving referee Kevin Clancy with little choice but to point to the spot.

Russell coolly stepped up to send Ewings the wrong way.

Only thirty seconds later, the Lions doubled their advantage. A fine move beginning with Kyle Jacobs saw Russell and De Vita combine to slice open the away defence, and the Italian was on hand to side foot the ball home from ten yards.

The goal saw Livi effectively secure the points, and Bollan’s men then went about extending their advantage.

Russell was causing no end of problems for Alloa’s backline, and the striker again found himself clear in the box before again squaring for De Vita, who finished the move at the second attempt.

In stoppage time, with Alloa pushing forward in an attempt to get a consolation, substitutes Bobby Barr and Robbie Winters worked the ball into the away side’s half, with the latter playing a beautifully weighted pass to Barr, who made no mistake in lashing the ball past Ewings.

The win leaves Livingston eleven points clear at the top of the league, although both Brechin City and Ayr United have games in hand.
Captain Liam Fox told LiviTV: “We’re delighted. It was a big game after Tuesday’s disappointment, and at the end of the day it was all about getting three points. I’m glad that’s what we’ve done.

“At half time, we realised the performance needed a bit of enthusiasm, a bit of bite, and at half time the manager pointed that out to us.”

Livingston: Bullock, C.Barr, Cowan, Watson, Talbot, Ky.Jacobs, Hamill (Sinclair 83), Fox, De Vita, Deuchar (B.Barr 55), Russell (Winters 78)
Subs not used: McDowall, Malone

Alloa Athletic: Ewings, Dunlop, Walker, Bloom (Lister 62), Philp, McDonald (Scott 82), McGowan, Gibson, Motion, Prunty (Smith 62), Noble
Subs not used: Robertson, Hay

Att: 1377

Ref: K.Clancy

Report: Calum Leslie

Half Time Draw numbers were:
1st Prize – 9449 (£300 cheque)
2nd Prize – 9211 (£20 voucher for the Livingston Football Club shop)
3rd Prize – 9428 (£10 voucher for the Livingston Football Club shop)