Saturday 25 August 2012

Raith Rovers 0 - 0 Livingston

(HT 0 - 0)

John Hughes and Livingston left Kirkcaldy with a point after improving markedly on the previous week’s performance at home to Airdrie, but still finding the path to goal an elusive one. 

The Lions were looking to bounce back from their defeat here at the Braidwood Motor Company Stadium and Anthony Andreu saw his shot held by Raith stopper David McGurn in the early stages.

Ex-Lion Joe Hamill’s corner was tipped away by Andy McNeil soon after, before back at the other end Stefan Scougall’s deflected effort was brilliantly turned round the post by McGrun

Ross Docherty nodded wide from a Scougall corner as the Lions piled on the pressure in the opening 20 minutes, but Raith nearly took the lead against the run of play when Pat Clarke snatched at an opportunity in the box.

It was a half that belonged to Yogi’s men though; with Bobby Barr heading a McDonald cross over and Iain Russell forcing another fine save from McGurn at the end of a swift counter attack.

The final chance of the half fell to Marc McNulty, but he headed over from six yards out.

Livi had a great opportunity seconds after half time when Russell slipped in Barr on the edge of the box, but a fine Eddie Malone challenge saved the home side.

Grant Murray’s men responded, and Malone himself should have given them the lead on 52 minutes but failed to connect with a header just three yards out.

Another ex –Livi star, Allan Walker, send a shot wide for Raith before Clarke was foiled on 70 minutes by a brilliant McNeil save that pushed his half volley on to the bar.

The Lions raced up the other end and Scougall could have given them the lead within seconds of the keeper’s stop, but his shot was blocked wide.

Greig Spence should have handed the home side the lead with five minutes left on the clock, but he saw his effort held by McNeil after pouncing on a loose ball.

The Lions keeper and former Raith man was receiving pelters from the home fans behind his goal, but the save secured a third clean sheet from three return visits to Starks Park for the stopper.

Livi could have taken all three points in the final moments as Russell’s shot spun over and McDonald sent an effort sailing past, but in the end the points were shared.

Raith Rovers:
McGurn, Thomson, Ellis, Hill, Malowne, G.Anderson (Spence 83), S.Anderson, Walker, Hamill, Graham, Clarke
Subs not used: Laidlaw, Murray, Callachan, Vaughan

McNeil, McCann, McDonald, Watson, Fordyce, Docherty, B.Barr, I.Russell, McNulty, Scougall, Andreu
Subs not used: Cummings, R Gray, Downie, Beaumont, Jamieson

Referee: Brian Colvin

Official Attendance: 1, 774

Match report: Calum Leslie