Tuesday 28 August 2012

Livingston 3 - 2 Dumbarton
I.Russell (39 pen)
B.Barr (96)
Easton (102)
(HT 1 - 1)
(FT 1 - 1)
Lister (36)
Gilhaney (110)

LIVINGSTON defeated Dumbarton to progress to the third round of the Scottish Communities League Cup on Tuesday night at the Braidwood Motor Company Stadium.

With eight first team players out missing John Hughes’s side had a makeshift look and an average age of less than 21 – but his charges rallied to see off their First Division opponents 3-2 after 120 minutes.

With Ross Docherty filling in at centre back along with Callum Fordyce and Dean Cummings deployed at full back, Livi went about seeking their place in the third round draw.

Jim Lister gave Dumbarton the lead on 37 minutes when he controlled a long pass and blasted beyond McNeil.

Only two minutes later Iain Russell equalised with a penalty after he was bundled over in the box.

The second half saw the Lions ask more questions of the away defence, but the Sons still threatened early in the second half when Bryan Prunty saw his effort saved by McNeil.

Livi sought to take control of the game and Iain Russell and Marc McNulty were both foiled twice by Stephen Grindlay in the away goal.

On 72 minutes Nicky Devlin and Jim Lister both hit the post within ten seconds after the former’s deflected cross came back off the bar and the latter could only misfire as he followed up.

Full time came and went, and Livi finally took the lead in extra time when McNulty was again denied by Grindlay, but set up Bobby Barr who smashed home from 15 yards.

Sub Dylan Easton then rounded off an impressive passing move on 102 minutes to make it three. A quick throw resulted in 12 passes being zipped across the surface in just 14 seconds, teeing up Easton who coolly finished to Grindlay’s right.

Gilhaney made the final few moments interesting as he turned home after McNeil brilliantly blocked twice on the line, and Stefan Scougall could have made it four at the death but the visiting keeper again made the block.

McNeil, Cummings, McDonald, Andreu, Fordyce, Docherty, B.Barr (Downie 104), I.Russell (R.Gray 90), McNulty, Scougall, Morton (Easton 78)
Subs not used: Beaumont, Jamieson

Grindley, Devlin, Lithgow, Graham, Creaney (Johnston 98), Flening, Agnew, Gilhaney, McDougall (Lamont 103), Prunty, Lister (McNiff 108)
Subs not used: Ewings, Forsyth

Referee: Crawford Allan

Official Attendance: 493

Match report:
Calum Leslie
Pics: Steven Carrie