Saturday 6 October 2012

Livingston 1 - 1 Cowdenbeath
(HT 0 - 0)
Kn.Jacobs (71)
Milne (90)

LIVINGSTON keeper Andy McNeil was so nearly the hero as the Lions lost a last minute equaliser to Cowdenbeath at Almondvale.

John Hughes’ men had faced dogged resistance from Colin Cameron’s side and had the better of the chances in a first half that failed to inspire.

Marc McKenzie and Iain Russell had the best opportunities for their respective sides, as the former headed over from just six yards out, before the latter saw his shot from 20 yards tipped round the post by Cowden keeper Thomas Flynn.

Then the visitors lost Armstrong thanks to a lunge on Tony Andreu on 55 minutes and Livi took control.

With the majority of possession up until that point, the home side used the one man advantage to push the Blue Brazil further and further back into their half – and Livi got their reward with 19 minutes left.

Keaghan Jacobs worked some space and his 20-yard shot flicked a Cowdenbeath leg on the way to goal before nestling into the net on 70 minutes.

The home side looked comfortable at that point but Cameron’s men began a stoppage time onslaught led by Jamie Stevenson.

The midfielder had a free kick and another long range effort brilliantly saved by McNeil, who looked to have secured the three points for Yogi and the side.

But in 94 minutes Stevenson’s third effort smacked the bar after another McNeil touch, and this time Lewis Milne was on hand to head home unchalleneged from six yards.

It was a huge blow – but Iain Russell almost reclaimed the lead for the Lions in remarkable fashion.

He launched the ball goal wards straight from kick off and from the full length of the half – but could only wonder what might have been as Flynn backtracked to tip the ball over the bar.

McNeil, Docherty (R.Gray 66), Garcia Tena, Watson (Booth 30), C.Barr, Kn.Jacobs, Andreu, I.Russell, McNulty, Scougall (Easton 77), Morton
Subs not used: Fordyce, Hurst

Flynn, Cowan, Armstrong, Linton, Adamson, Cameron (Miller 70), McKenzie (Milne 79), Ramsay, Stevenson, Stewart (Garcia-Rey 57), Toult
Subs not used: O'Brien, Wight

Referee: Crawford Allan

Official Attendance: 1,203

Match report: Calum Leslie
Pictures: Steven Carrie