Saturday 3 August 2013

Elgin City
1 - 3
Crighton (45)
HT 1-2
Scott (15)
Fordyce (39)
McNulty (62)

Progress to the second round of the Scottish League Cup was assured with a good performance against Elgin City by an injury hit Lions squad.

Moussa Mampuya and Mark Burchill both dropped out of the side that lost to Berwick, adding to a lengthy list of casualties including Burton O'Brien, Keaghan Jacobs and Stefan Scougall.

Yet, despite the absence of so many key players, our younger players stepped into the breach to record a well deserved vistory at Borough Briggs.

On a sunny but very blustery day, we settled well and took the lead after just fifteen minutes, Martin Scott marking his recent return to the club with a goal. 'Jimmy' was on the ground inside the penalty area as he forced the ball over the line, just seconds after City keeper Ray Jellema stopped his first attempt.

With Kyle Wilkie and Ross Docherty both prominent in midfield we were well in control, throughout the first half, restricting Elgin to long range shooting.

We got a second goal to underline that control with six minutes of the half remaining. Not unlike the first it was an untidy goal, with Callum Fordyce applying the final touch from very close range after Elgin failed to clear their lines.

As the interval approached Jamieson had to look lively to stop a shot, but as Elgin applied some rare pressure they got a toehold back into the game when the ball broke to defender Sean Crichton and he produced a good finish.

That goal gave the home side a lifeline, but that was cut off just after the hour mark when Marc McNulty strode forward from a deep position and produced an excellent finish that found the corner of the net, just out of Jellema's reach.

From there on in, we looked comfortable, though Elgin had one or two decent efforts on goal that weren't far away.

Notable for us was the introduction of sub Danny Denholm for his first taste of competitive action as a Livingston player, the former Forfar man making a couple of promising runs in a wide left position.

Come the full time whistle, Elgin could have no complaints as we booked our place in the next round, a very positive result in view of the inexperienced nature of our team. A definite banana skin avoided!

Elgin City: Jellema, Niven (Urquhart 74), McMullan, Crighton, Duff, MacLean (Wyness 79), Gunn, Harkins (McKenzie 64), Cameron, Sutherland, Beveridge. Subs not used: McKinnon, Black

Livingston: Jamieson, Donaldson, Talbot, Mensing, Fordyce, Docherty (Downie 90), Scott (Mullen 90), Beaumont, McNulty, Wilkie (Denholm 78), McDonald. Subs not used: Hastings, Walker

Referee: Don Robertson

Attendance: 563