Saturday 15 March 2014

0 - 2

HT 0-1
MacDonald (8)
Benedictus (55)

After ending the home losing run with a win against Cowdenbeath in our last game here at the Energy Assets Arena, the Lions slumped to defeat against league leaders Dundee as goals either side of the break meant all three points were headed for Dens Park.

In somewhat of a rare occurrence this season, John McGlynn stuck with the same starting eleven that took to the field at Falkirk last week, hoping the fighting spirit that was on show there would be enough to take something from this game too.

With only eight minutes on the clock though, that hope was shattered as Dundee took the lead. Gary Irvine drove forward with the ball and won a free-kick on the edge of the box after being fouled by Simon Mensing. Up stepped Peter MacDonald and he made no mistake in curling the ball over the wall and into Jamieson’s bottom corner.

That goal boosted Dundee even further and they quickly went about trying to double their advantage. MacDonald picked the ball up from Gavin Rae and fed it through to Jim McAllister but his looping shot was gathered by Jamieson. McAllister then turned provider as he sent Martin Boyle free but his long range effort drifted wide of the post.

Livi weren’t completely out of the game though and did try to push forward in search of an equaliser. Marc McNulty sent a 25 yard shot just over the bar before some good work from Michal Habai out on the right wing presented Keaghan Jacobs with a shooting opportunity but he elected to pass instead and the attack was eventually thwarted by the Dundee defence.

Dundee had the final chance of the half as Callum Fordyce headed clear a corner only as far as Declan Gallagher but the defender snatched at his shot and sent the ball wide of goal.

Into the second half and Dundee continued to press for a second goal. Christian Nade sent McAllister scampering down the wing after some neat footwork in the middle of the park but Simon Mensing blocked the cross as Boyle lurked behind him.

The next Dundee attack was to prove more rewarding though as the Dens Park men went two ahead. McAllister swung a corner in from the right and Kyle Benedictus was left completely unmarked to head the ball into the bottom corner despite the best efforts of Jason Talbot on the post.

There was no let-up in Dundee’s play though as they went in search of goal number three. Boyle came close from distance as his volley whistled just over the bar before Steven Doris fired into the side netting after a good ball forward from Irvine.

Livi had a soft penalty appeal turned away by referee Don Robertson after McNulty appeared to be bundled over by Benedictus but the official was having none of it.

Doris had another chance to make it three when Ian Davidson picked him out in the area but he scooped his shot wide and Dundee had to settle for just the two goals.

A disappointing result for the Lions having done so well to pick up a point away at Falkirk last week. No time to dwell though as another tough game awaits next weekend with a trip to Kirkcaldy to take on Raith Rovers.

Livingston: Jamieson, Talbot (Praprotnik 42), Mensing, Fordyce, Scott, Kn.Jacobs, McNulty, Habai (Burchill 62), Sives, Ky.Jacobs (Denholm 73), Mevlja
Subs not used:
Mampuya, Walker, Wilkie, Mullen

Dundee: Letehren, Irvine, Dyer, Benedictus, Gallagher, Davidson, Rae, McAlister, Boyle (Conroy 87), MacDonald (Riley 80), Nade (Doris 69)
Subs not used:
Lockwood, , Gibson, Cummins, Wighton

Referee: Don Robertson

Attendance: 1759

Match report: Dave Black