Tuesday 26 August 2014

1 - 0
Queen of the South
Hippolyte (119) HT 0-0
FT 0-0

Livi’s Indian sign over Queen of the South continued as a last-gasp extra-time strike from Myles Hippolyte saw the Lions into the third round of the Scottish League Cup after a one-sided 120 minutes at the Energy Assets Arena.

The clash was the third between the two sides already this season, with Livi earning a win and a draw in the previous two, and Hippo’s late show ensured the Lions’ unbeaten record over Queens was extended.

Livi made two changes from the weekend 1-1 draw at Palmerston, bringing in Gary Glen and Danny Mullen for Hippolyte and David Robertson, as they looked to book their place alongside the big boys in round three and they started brightly, with a Keaghan Jacobs corner causing havoc in the visitors’ box before Iain Russell was able to clear. Danny Mullen then teed up Jordan White for a strike from ten yards which flew over the bar. Queens then had the ball in the net through John Baird’s strike but they were denied by the linesman’s flag.

Livi continued to push forward and came very close when Burton O’Brien curled a free kick narrowly over the crossbar before the visitors were forced into a change when Derek Lyle replaced the injured Ian McShane. Keaghan then had a long-range effort which Queens keeper Zander Clark had to scurry across goal to push wide and ensure that, for all Livi’s dominance, the teams went in at the break all-square.

Livi continued to dominate as the second half got underway and O’Brien came close again with a effort from the edge of the box which was dragged just wide. Clark then came to the visitors’ rescue again as he saved Keaghan’s powerful effort from distance before Livi swapped Kyle Jacobs, who was walking a disciplinary tightrope after an early yellow card, for Craig Sives.

Callum Fordyce was switched to right back after the change and he made a storming run down the right before curling in a fine cross for White but he could only head over the bar. Jason Talbot was next to try his luck as he raced on to a cross but his volley flew high over the crossbar. Iain Russell then picked up a yellow card for a naughty challenge on Darren Jamieson, much to the delight of the home support. Livi then made their second change, with Hippolyte introduced in place of Mullen. Michael McKenna had Livi’s next chance but, after beating his man down the left, he could only fire wide.

Queens had offered precious little as an attacking force, resorting mostly to aimless balls upfield, and had to wait until five minutes from time for their first meaningful effort, Derek Lyle with a tame effort from the edge of the box. That was the final shot in anger as the match headed into extra-time.

The visitors had the first effort of extra-time too, Lyle again going close with a header which flew wide. Livi soon took control once again and McKenna should have done better than fire high over the bar after being set up by White. The big striker was the provider again, this time teeing up Talbot to put his laces through an effort which flew over.

Livi kept up the pressure in the second half but were almost caught out when Russell ran clear but Jamieson did well to save. Normal service soon resumed, though, and Livi came close again when Keaghan found sub Mark Burchill, but his angled effort was saved by Clark, before McKenna’s hooked cross was cleared off the line by Andy Dowie. Justice was soon done as Livi snatched the win just when penalties looked inevitable. A fine run by Keaghan saw him find Burchill and, when he couldn’t get a shot away himself, he fed the Hippo to slot home and send Livi through at the death.

Livingston: 1 Jamieson, 3 talbot, 5 Fordyce, 6 Ky.Jacobs (Sives 61), 7 Kn.Jacobs, 8 O'Brien, 14 Gallagher, 17 McKenna, 18 White, 19 Glen (Burchill 105), 20 Mullen (Hippolyte 70)
Subs not used:
10 Robertson, 16 Beaumont, 21 Grant, 31 Rutherford

Queen of the South: 1 Clark, 3 Holt, 4 Dowie, 5 Duman, 6 Higgins, 9 Baird (Carmichael 75), 11 Russell, 12 Kidd (Smith 97), 16 Dzierzawski, 18 McShane (Lyle 34), 26 Fowler
Subs not used: 20 Atkinson, 21 Slattery, 22 Hooper, 24 Smith

Referee: George Salmond

Attendance: 620

Match report: Andrew Crawford