Saturday 6 September 2014

0 - 1

HT 0-0
FT 0-0
Hippolyte (113)

The Hippo was fed once more as Livi saw off a stubborn Peterhead side to book their place in the Petrofac Training Cup semi-finals for the second time in four seasons.

The Lions were taken to extra-time for the fourth time already this season and a second penalty shootout looked on the cards until cult hero Myles Hippolyte made up for having gone hungry against Dumbarton last week by firing in the only goal with only seven minutes of the extra period left to send Livi through to the last four.

Livi got the game underway and immediately had their hosts on the back foot, going close to an opener inside three minutes with a low Jordan White strike which fizzed just wide of Graeme Smith’s post. Mikey McKenna was next to try his luck but saw his effort hooked behind for a corner. Livi were dominant and had another effort soon after when Keaghan Jacobs won a free kick 30 yards out but could only curl his strike over the bar.

Peterhead were on the ropes but Livi couldn’t turn their pressure into goals, Gary Glen the next to go agonisingly close when he got on the end of McKenna’s cross but saw his effort fly inches wide. Glen tried his luck again with a low effort after  excellent play from White but it was blocked on the line.

Peterhead had their first half-chance with a long-range effort from Jamie Stevenson which was comfortably held by Darren Jamieson before the hosts’ Reece Donaldson picked up the first booking of the game for a reckless challenge on David Robertson. White and Glen then came close with a pair of quickfire efforts as, despite Livi’s almost-complete dominance, the two sides went in at the break all square.

Livi continued to dominate as the second half got underway and, after Smith flapped at a corner from Keaghan, the ball fell to Callum Fordyce but he could only fire the rebound wide. White and Glen then linked up to set up Robertson but his effort flew high over the bar. Rory McAllister then picked up a yellow card for a dreadful tackle on Jason Talbot.

The one-way traffic continued as Keaghan’s free kick was met by Fordyce but his header was straight at Smith. White then teed up Glen but the ex-Hearts man curled his effort over the bar. Robertson then came close with a low effort from the edge of the box which Smith did well to push wide. Yet another chance followed soon after as Keaghan’s corner found brother Kyle unmarked in the box but his free header flew wide.

With the number of chances going to waste, Livi fans could be forgiven for fearing the same outcome as the previous week at Dumbarton and another opportunity was missed when White fired in a low shot which trundled wide. Another chance came and went when Robertson showed a fine touch to control a long ball over the top but could only chip his finish over the bar before McKenna tried his luck from distance but saw his effort palmed over by Smith.

John McGlynn then made a double change, Hippolyte and Mark Burchill replacing Robertson and Glen, as he tried to engineer a breakthrough for the Lions. Kyle then came close with a header across goal which fell just wide of the post. Hippo was quickly into the action and, after dancing past two defenders, fired a shot just wide with what turned out to be the last chance of the match as the match headed into extra time.

Livi kept going forward in extra time and Keaghan fired in a low effort but it was straight at Smith. The Lions almost paid for their profligacy soon after when Peterhead sub Andy Rodgers forced the ball goalwards but Craig Sives got back to clear his effort off the line and ensure the teams turned around for the second period still goalless.

The second half of extra time was pretty low-key until seven minutes from time when Hippo latched on to Keaghan’s low ball through and fired beyond Smith to finally reward the Lions’ dominance. Peterhead’s frustration soon got the better of them and striker Andy Rodgers was shown a straight red card for foul and abusive language in the final minute as Livi saw out the remaining time to book their spot in the semi-finals and get the fans dreaming of a return to the final after a 14-year absence.

Peterhead:1 G.Smith, 2 Sharp, 3 Noble, 4 Donaldson, 5 Ross, 6 Strachan (Rodgers 65), 7 Brown (Cox 55), 8 Redman, 9 McAllister (Gilfillan 75), 10 Stevenson, 11 Cowie
Subs not used:
15 R.Smith, 17 Richardson, 18 McCann, 21 Jarvie

Livingston: 1 Jamieson, 2 Sives, 3 Talbot, 5 Fordyve, 6 Ky.Jacobs, 7 Kn.Jacobs, 8 O'Brien, 10 Robertson (Hippolyte 80), 17 McKenna (Ogleby 105), 18 White, 19 Glen (Burchill 81)
Subs not used: 16 Beaumont, 20 Mullen, 21 Grant, 31 Rutherford

Referee: Brian Colvin

Attendance: 695

Match report: Andrew Crawford