Queen of the South 0 – 1 Livingston (AET)


Livi continued their defence of the Petrofac Training Cup as they gained quick revenge for Saturday’s league defeat to Queen of the South with an extra-time win at Palmerston.

Lions boss, and birthday boy, Mark Burchill made five changes to his side from the league clash as Jackson Longridge, Ben Gordon, Spas Georgiev, Jordan White and Jordyn Sheerin came into the side in place of Ross Millen, Kieran Gibbons, Gary Glen, Danny Mullen and Liam Buchanan.

In a largely forgettable first half, the first chance of the match fell to the home side as Dale Hilson sent a header over Darren Jamieson’s crossbar before Gordon picked up the first yellow card of the night. Livi forced their first chance as Longridge found himself in a shooting position but could only fire wide of goal. That was literally all the action of note in the first 45 minutes as the teams went in all-square.

Queens made two early changes in the second half as Jake Pickard and Hilson were replaced by Jordan Marshall and Aidan Smith and forced the clearest chance so far just before the hour mark as Paul Heffernan set up Mark Millar but he could only fire wide of goal. Heffernan was replaced shortly after as Derek Lyle, who had started on Saturday, took his place. Livi then made two changes of their own as Georgiev and Sheerin were replaced by Mullen and Buchanan.

Livi came close with just under 15 minutes to go as Craig Sives met a cross with a powerful header which Robbie Thomson saved well. Ryan Conroy then tried his luck from long range but sent his effort wide. Substitute Lyle then fired in an effort from the edge of the box that flew over the bar before Declan Gallagher picked up the fourth Livi yellow card of the night, Myles Hippolyte having been booked earlier. Lyle’s effort was the last of note in normal time and, for the third time in a row, the two sides headed for extra-time in cup action.

As extra-time got underway, Longridge picked up Livi’s fifth yellow card before Queens passed up another couple of chances in quick succession as Lyle saw an effort saved by Jamieson before Smith sent the rebound wide. Livi made their final switch of the night as Glen came on for Longridge.

Into the second period of extra time and Jordan White came close to the long-awaited breakthrough but he could only send his effort over the bar. That miss served only to delay the opening goal as the Lions broke the deadlock with their next attack. A corner was cleared out to Glen and he teed up Mullen who sent a dangerous cross back into the box and White forced the ball home. There was a suggestion that the ball had found its way in off the big striker’s arm but, if so, it was a long overdue slice of good fortune for the Lions.

The Lions saw out the last few minutes with ease to ensure a very happy birthday for the gaffer and book their place in Thursday’s quarter-final draw as their quest for a second consecutive Petrofac Training Cup continues.

QOTS: Thomson, Kidd, Brownlie, Higgins, Millar, Conroy, Jacobs, Hutton, Pickard (Marshall 46), Heffernan (Lyle 58), Hilson (Smith 48)
Subs: Rutherford, Moxon, Atkinson, Hooper

Livingston: Jamieson, Longridge (Glen 106), Gordon, Sives, Gallagher, Hippolyte, Cole, Pittman, Georgiev (Mullen 64), White, Sheerin (Buchanan 64)
Subs: Gould, Neill, Gibbons, , Millen
Goals: White 115

Referee: Kevin Graham
Att: 1189
HT: 0-0
Match Report: Andy Crawford

Share this:

Comments are closed.